Phuisan's Life

A blog which will drive your worries, sadness and stress away. Have fun reading. This is the best way for me to update you with my life!

Friday 21 November 2008

My Chinese Name PHUI SAN

This week there is a lot of discussion about my Chinese name. It was being discussed at home and University.


When we were learning Chinese in the kitchen, they asked what my Chinese name is. So I said “Phui San”.

They tried to pronounce it and after a few times they managed to pronounce it properly. They think it is a nice name. They said why I have an English name. So I told them why. They think that the reason was stupid. They said that I should have chosen Samantha instead of Vanessa because it goes with my last name. Somebody has already taken the name and I don’t want to have a same name.


In Uni, I asked Jim for my draft essay and said that my email address is in Chinese name. He asked what my Chinese name is. I told him and he asked why I call myself Vanessa. Everyone in the class knows why now. He thinks that my name is lovely. So he started to call my Chinese name in the class. Then he asked me during the break “Are you alright if I call your English name or do you want me to call your Chinese name?” I said it is fine with Vanessa.


I really like my Chinese name. Phui San. I know “San” means coral. I don’t mind people calling me using the Chinese name because I am proud to have the name. The thing is I don’t like people to pronounce it wrongly and spoil the name.


Even some can’t pronounce Vanessa properly. They pronounce it as “Vinissa” “VAAnessa”. It feels so horrible. Sean calls me Miss Van because he complained that Vanessa is too long.


It doesn’t matter if you call me Phui San or Vanessa, but please get it right.


Cheers

PhuiSan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home