Phuisan's Life

A blog which will drive your worries, sadness and stress away. Have fun reading. This is the best way for me to update you with my life!

Saturday 27 December 2008

Birmingham Christmas Trip

As you guys know, I was in Birmingham for my first white Christmas. There was no snow on Christmas Day. It was freaking cold in Birmingham as compare to Sheffield.


Day one - Christmas Eve

I set off from Sheffield train station at 4.00pm. By the time I reached Birmingham at 5pm the sky was already dark. I had to wait for my cousin. Then he took me to his office. He needs to clean up the office. It is same as the Chinese which is do the cleaning before CNY. “Ta Sau Chu”. Hahaha.


Then we went home for the Christmas Eve dinner. We had turkey and all the food was prepared by Carrick. After that we cleaned up the house and hang around. We all went to bed after that because everyone was too tired. I was tired too.


Day Two - Christmas Day

We all woke up at about 10am. It was freaking cold. Khai Liang cooked fried spaghetti with leftover turkey. We stayed at home making phone calls and text. Both of us call back home to tell everyone that we are having a fun Christmas. My cousin sis said “Why is that so poh in your house?” That so poh is meant to be me.


I called Zeehui to wish her merry Christmas and managed to speak to sinli and leajoo. If I called earlier, then I would be able to talk to YongKit. I felt a little jealous because I couldn’t hang out with them.


Then the three of us had Stephen Chow Movie Marathon. We decided to drop by at Stephy’s place. The road and shopping malls were damn empty. There were only a few cars on the street. This is a real Christmas. It is like in Malaysia during CNY, the roads are empty and the shops are all close. I met a few new friends and one from China. She is a very nice girl and speak very thick accent of mandarin. At times, I didn’t understand what she was trying to say, I just pretend to understand by nodding my head and give a big smile.


We went for dinner at Han Chow some Chinese restaurant. The food was good but it was damn salty. Carrick and I were making a big fuss over the MSG but my cousin said that it was fine. From that moment, I felt that something was not right. My throat was very itchy and the next minute I felt sick. During the dinner, I managed to ask something which I wanted to know about 5 years back.


After dinner, we decided to sing K. When we walk there, it was close. Three of us wanted to sing so badly. Then we headed home to watch Moonlight Resonance. After a while, we all went to bed because we had to wake up early and set off to Bicester Village at 8am.


Day three- Boxing Day

I had to crawl up from the bed at 7am. I was really tired but for the sake of shopping I think is worth it. Khai Liang cooked chicken and turkey porridge for us. We were laughing like mad during breakfast and keep saying that we are late. Carrick said “Kat Si” means the auspicious time has over. We were supposed to leave at 8am but we were all the so called “Mo Jie” means slow lady.


Finally, we set off to Bicester Village. The journey takes about one hour. Khai Liang drove. We reached there at about 9.40am. The queues of cars were massive. Thank god there were many parking left.


The place was fantastic. All designers label. You name it they have it. It range from Ted Baker, Calvin Klein jeans and underwear, Burberry, Mulberry and loads more to name. It was really cheap because of the discount. We went into every single shop. We stopped by at Calvin Klein Jeans. The three of us bought some stuff. Khai Liang and I bought a wallet. Carrick bought one sweater and hoodie. The queue to the counter was massive.


As we were walking, we realized that we only had one bag on hand. The rest of the people had loads of big bag. The three of us felt irritated, Kiasu, “BEH SONG” and don’t want to be sore loser since we drove so far, so we decided to take a rest at Starbucks before starting to shop. I bought some stuff from Ted Baker. Carrick doesn’t want to lose so he went to buy another sweater from Burberry. My Cousin wanted another Calvin Klein bag so he went into the CK Underwear.


After the shopping, it was quite early so we headed back to Birmingham City Center for another round of shopping. We shopped at Zara. Before that the place that we shopped at is call Bull Ring. The shopping center was massive. Armani Exchange and DKNY were great and it was damn cheap. I couldn’t afford to buy anymore because I am out of budget. I used my own money to buy two turtleneck top from Zara.


I saw the Malaysian badminton coach Rexy in Bicester Village. I saw him in Starbucks holding DKNY and Burberry bags. Damn cool. I wanted to take a photo with him but I think it will be a little embarrassing. I wanted to wish him congratulations for the Super Series.


Carrick and I queued up to buy ice cream. When it was our turn, the staff who is a uncle spoke mandarin to us. He asked how many scoops we want. I said two in English. Then I turned to Carrick and ask “Was he speaking Mandarin?” Carrick said “It’s ok. No worries.” Then the uncle said “Speak Mandarin to me. Don’t speak in English”. My cousin came and he spoke in Mandarin. Carrick and I look like orang gila.


After that we went to the Cinema. We decided to watch Madagascar 2. Before the movie start we had our dinner at Nandos because my cousin wanted to eat something westernish. Then Carrick ask him one question “Where is Nandos originated from?” Khai Liang said “Italy” Carrick said from “Portugal. So does it looks westernish?”. We all laughed.


Then we went for the movie. Half way through the movie, the three of us felt asleep. It was a little boring but towards the end it was funny. Then we went home and continue with our Stephen Chow Movie Marathon.


Day 4 – Time to say goodbye

Today is my last day in Birmingham. There are a few things that I will miss. The shopping, the fight among three of us and lastly my cousin. Though we stay one hour away by train but I rarely see him because he is busy with work. He even offered me to stay with him next year when my contract ends. I have no idea on how I should thank him. He is like my role model because he was the one who made me stay in Sheffield and continue with my Masters.


We didn’t drive today because the parking fee will be expensive. So we took a train down to the city center. We went to Zara again and bought even more as compared to yesterday. We went to DKNY and AX again because Carrick wanted to buy the jacket.


After that, we headed to Chinatown for Dim Sum in one of the Chinese restaurant. It was delicious and I finally get to eat egg tarts, yau char kwei wrapped with chee cheong fun and char siew pau. After that, both of them walked me to the train station.


I wish I could stay for another day and stay with my cousin. Too bad I have to go back to Sheffield. I really enjoyed myself and this is one of the best Christmas celebrations I ever had. I am speechless and lost with words.


Thanks for all the fun in Birmingham. I hope that everyone had a massive and warm celebration.


Cheers

PhuiSaN


Scroll down for the pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home